Blocks For The Brave

In July of 2008, “Blocks For The Brave” was started for the purpose of giving a hand-made quilt to every US Armed Forces service member returning from the war in Iraq and Afghanistan that has sustained either physical or emotional injuries while serving.

Volunteers proudly make patriotic quilts, using only red, white and blue fabrics. To date, they have given almost 200 quilts of which ~85% have been delivered to the VA. The VA adds these quilts to care packages that are given to the Vets as they come back from the war and are checked into the VA hospital. The remaining ~15% of the quilts are given to Vets personally, by the volunteers helping with Blocks For The Brave.

Quilters can create blocks, quilt tops, or quilts on their own or come to one of the monthly sew-cials held by this group at the American Legion Hall. Future sew-cials are planned for Sunday, June 14th, July 19th, August 16th, September 20th, October 18th, November 15th and December 20th. These sew-cials are held at:

American Legion Hall
10 AM – 5 PM
11986 Front Street
Norwalk, CA 90650

While donations of fabric and batting are always appreciated, at this time what this group needs most are volunteer longarm quilters. They currently have 58 quilt tops that are ready for quilting!

Contacts; If you would like to help make quilts, contribute monies or fabric please contact Blocks For The Brave via email at blocksforthebrave@yahoo.com. If you know an injured Service member that has not received a quilt from Blocks For The Brave, or another quilting organization please contact Blocks For The Brave at the email listed above. Dyna Hall at (805)-712-1323 or Cathy Dolan 562-421-3258

Additional photos are available at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/blocksforthebrave/

Advertisements

1 thought on “Blocks For The Brave”

Comments are closed.